Thursday 5 April 2012

Patchwork quilt! stage 1 completed

My current big project is to make my 1st ever quilt!! I have made a few small scale patchwork pieces before that have been made into cushions or wall hangings, but this is the first time I have taken on a full size quilt. I have to say I have loved picking out the fabrics, and managed to use a lovely combination of 2nd hand and vintage fabric combined with some lovely new fabric that I sighed and salivated over in the fabric shops! However my excitement and enthusiasm waned quickly as I started to cut out the patchwork pieces! And yes I am aware that this is a very simple quilt pattern, and that in relative terms I used much fewer pieces that generally used for other quilts... but after cutting out 120 pieces of fabric by hand I have had enough. So on that note I am looking forward to starting the sewing stage of my quilt. Sadly i still have to pin the pieces together and I am working night shifts for the rest of the week so the next stage may have to wait. I thought I would post some photos of the end of the first stage. I was a little worried that the red squares stood out a little too much from the general greens and pinks of my colour scheme, however now that I an see the whole quilt I am pleased with it!






Now that the quilt is laid out on my living room floor, I have decided that it looks good there!! maybe my next project should be a patchwork rug or wall hanging... 


xxx


1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks like a lot of work! Can't wait to see when its completed :)

    Leanne x x

    ReplyDelete